Table of Contents
If you are an Outdoor Vlogger, and you love recording each and everything in high-quality, you know how important it is to have a good setup. Such setup requires multiple things that you need to consider to get the best results. Today, we will look into how to prepare the best GoPro vlog setup to get the most optimum results. Everything you will need and where you can get them would be covered in this article to help you out.
First things first, you need the best camera for your vlogs. In this case, we will recommend you the flagship by GoPro, that is GoPro HERO 7 Black. Moving on, we need to make sure that our audio quality is just as good as our video quality. For that, we will look into the Rode VideoMicro. It is the best in its class and will be attached to the GoPro using the 3.5mm mic adapter. Moreover, we are going to look into some of the essential accessories and the best tripods as well. All these things combined, you can have the best vlogging experience.
All The Things You Need For The Perfect GoPro Setup
GOPro HERO 7 Black
GoPro HERO 7 is the best in its class. It is the latest and greatest by the renowned company. It has a sleek design and measures 1.8 x 2.4 x 1.3 inches. It is easy to carry around as it weighs just 4.2 ounces. It has a bright LCD that is highly responsive to touch. The body itself is very durable and is waterproof too. This camera can record at 4K at up to 60 frames per second. If you lower the settings to 2.7K, it records at up to 120 frames per second.
Further, if you decrease it to 1080p, it records up to 240 frames per second. It has a 12-megapixel camera for capturing High Definition Resolution photos that are a delight to see. It has ultimate stabilization, probably the best in class and has WiFi and GPS connectivity as well. It also has a Portrait Mode and the ability to record slow-motion videos. All these extraordinary specifications with this camera comes within a $500 budget and is available on Amazon.
To add more to it, here is a list of some pros this device has.
- It has HyperSmooth, which is the name given to its outstanding stabilization.
- It has a built-in live streaming function for you to share your experience as you live it.
- The user interface of the software is easy to use and understand.
- It has over a hundred accessories available for purchase to enhance the experience.
- Easy to carry around as it fits in the palm.
Despite all these pros, there are some drawbacks as well, which need to be taken into consideration as well.
- It has considerably unsatisfactory battery life.
- It can heat up very quickly, especially when recording in 4K.
- It does not come with an SD card which is a primary requirement.
- It takes some time to understand its functionality fully.
- The voice command feature is not very accurate.
- The built-in mic is just satisfactory. You can not get high-end results with it, especially in a noisy place.
Keeping all these in mind, we can see that the advantages still outweigh the drawbacks. Furthermore, some disadvantages can be resolved by adding accessories to the camera. This article is to help you out with that. So let us move on to some of the minor accessories that are important along with the camera itself.
- Make sure that you keep an extra pair of batteries with you at all times. The awful battery life can be a real bummer, and you need to make sure you don’t run low on it during the vlog. To assist you with this, Wasabi offers a battery charger along with two 1,220 mAh lithium-ion batteries. The battery charger itself has USB-C and micro-USB connectivity. The package is available on Amazon for around $20. With the help of this product, you do not have to worry about getting low on juice, and you will always have a charger in case your battery gets low.
- You also need some external storage as the camera does not come with one. It is also necessary to install firmware updates. There are multiple options available in the market. But if you want to go for something that specializes in external storages, I would highly recommend choosing SanDisk. The bundle includes a 128gb memory card along with a memory card reader. It has a “read” and “write” speed of 170mb/s and 90mb/s, respectively. It is available for an attractive price at Amazon. Make sure you get it before the stock runs out!
- You need a carrying case to keep the camera along with all its accessories. Again, there are numerous options available to choose, along with different categories. If you are the kind of person that likes carrying the bag in hand, AmazonBasics Carrying Case for GoPro And Accessories is the best option for you. If you prefer shoulder bags instead, Thule TLGB-101 Legend Backpack for GoPro will suit you the most. However, you need to keep in mind that there is a significant difference between the prices of the two.
- There is an optional, but another exciting accessory for the GoPro. You can get yourself a remote control for your camera. SHOOT offers a smart remote control so you can use your GoPro wirelessly. It is not an essential accessory but can be useful for some. It is available on Amazon for under $50.
Mic and Its Adapter
As I mentioned earlier, the built-in mic is not as good as you might expect. You need an external mic to have a clearer voice and better overall sound in the recordings. Firstly, the camera itself does not come with a 3.5mm jack to insert the mic. You need an external adapter to do that. GoPro itself offers a remarkable product for this. You can get the GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter for under $50. It provides a crystal clear sound quality when connected with an external mic. Moreover, you can also use it as a USB-C extension for your GoPro!
Now that we have an external connector, let us discuss one of the best microphones that are available out there. There are many options to choose from, again. However, the one that is recommended by most YouTubers is the Rode MicroVideo. RØDE itself is a well-known company that provides quality products, and this microphone is no exception to that. It does not require any external power, which means you do not have to worry about it running low on battery. It weighs 42gm and is 80mm long. Talk about portability!
Furthermore, the package includes a Deluxe furry windshield and a Rycote Lyre shock mount. You also get an extended two-year warranty once you register the microphone. The mic is exceptionally durable, which makes it a perfect match for your GoPro as well. It has a frequency response of 100kHz-20kHz, and the output is mono.
Casing For The GoPro
Once we have all these accessories together, you still need some case to keep them intact. There are many options to choose from, but the most suitable one is the ULANZI Multifunctional Vlogging case. It is a very durable case which is perfect for vlogging. It comes with a reserved place for the microphone to keep the camera and the mic together. It is effortless to install and also has a cold shoe mount on top to attach additional accessories, such as the microphone or an LED. It weighs around 2.8 ounces and is available on Amazon for under $20.
On the other hand, if you like diving now and then, and need a waterproof case for your GoPro, you should go for the GoPro SuperSuit. It gives the ultimate protection for extreme outdoor activities and is waterproof for up to 60m deep. It is a bit more expensive as compared to the others, and does not have any cold shoe mount. But you have to give up something so you can have better waterproofing.
Now that you have your camera all set, you need something to hold it all. There are multiple tripods available that have different purposes. These come in different shapes and sizes, and you can choose the one that suits you the most. But you need a tripod mount to attach the tripod to your camera. There are many mounts available, and we are going to discuss a couple of the best ones. The one that is preferred by most YouTubers is the Suptig Tripod Mount. It is known for its flexibility and strength. It is made up of stainless steel and has a polycarbonate molding. It weighs just 3.2 ounces and is perfect for GoPros, but can be used with other cameras as well.
Other than this, you can also get the Hot Shoe Mount Adapter for your GoPro. This accessory is made up of aluminum alloy and has an adjustable cold shoe mount. Furthermore, it weighs the same as Suptig Tripod Mount, so choosing this would not make any difference in the total weight of the setup. It is only a matter of personal preference.
Now, an essential accessory is the tripod itself, without which you can not carry everything around. It can help to carry the camera along with the mic and other attachments if there are any. Tripods come in different sizes, and you have to choose the one which suits your type of vlogging. For instance, there are different tripods if you want to carry the camera around. These are generally smaller in height. There are taller tripods if you’re going to keep it somewhere to record.
The most used and praised tripod is the JOBY GorillaPod. It is ideal for indoor and outdoor use. This tripod is robust, flexible, and lightweight as it weighs just 191 grams. It can support up to 500 grams without a problem and has immense flexibility. The ball head allows the camera to tilt by 90 degrees gives 360 degrees panning capabilities. It has wrappable legs with rubberized rings that provides excellent stability. However, one must keep in mind that it does not last very long once the rubber on it starts to crack. So better take care of it!
However, if you want to carry the tripod along, you need something way smaller. In such a case, Fotopro UFO2 Set Tripod is the best. It is a 360 degrees spherical tripod that is sturdy and adjustable. It weighs just 280 grams and is 28 cm tall. It’s completely waterproof and comes with a one year warranty. It is so small and easily adjustable that you can use it for multiple purposes, and is extremely convenient to carry around. However, its longevity can be a question. But still, it comes with a small price tag and with one year warranty, so it does not matter much.
Also, there are various other mounts available that serve different purposes. If you like doing “Point Of View (POV)” videos, you can get yourself a Hapurs Shoulder Strap. If you make biking videos and want to record all of it, you can go for a SUREWO Motorcycle Helmet Chin Mount.
- To keep things fancy, you can get yourself a hand-made leather case for your GoPro on Amazon. It does not have any significant advantages, but it sure does look pretty decent. It comes in antique brown color and has an adjustable strap that is 48-26 inches in total length.
- You can also get yourself a bunch of different filters on Amazon. They can help you capture videos and photos in different effects. Neewer offers 4 Neutral Density Filters, 2 Adapter Rings, and 2 Lens Caps for under $40. These are made up of aluminum alloy and are very easy to use.
- In addition to all these, you can get a 3-Axis Inertia Gyro Stabilizer for your GoPro as well. This three-axis Gyroscope stabilizer helps capture videos with more stability and is very durable too. It is small enough to fit in your pocket but performs exceptionally well. It also has a built-in remote control holder for you GoPro!
- Lights are whats going to make your video sharp and clean. Make sure to have a lighting kit for your GoPro.
- Suction cups mount in case you do so car vlog
In a nutshell, there are a variety of accessories available in the market. The hard part is choosing the one that is the best and most suitable for your usage. All the accessories provided in this article are recommended and even used by many famous YouTubers themselves. These are all the essential stuff you need to give your vlogs a boost and to have the best vlogging experience as well!